Should I tackle this project?

Support in english
Izzmo

Should I tackle this project?

Post by Izzmo »

Hey all,

I am and electrical engineering student in my 2nd year and I have a lot of interest if making this project work for my car. I don't have too much time or experience with electronics yet other than what my classes have provided me.

With that, would you all recommend me trying to create this?

Thanks,

~Nick
AK47

Re: Should I tackle this project?

Post by AK47 »

It's up to you :)

It's not so difficult you only have to build the kit upload the software and install it to the car.

The hard thing is to build the kit right i think.

bad english --- i know :mrgreen:
Izzmo

Post by Izzmo »

So, where do you hook the wires into the car at? The PCM?
AK47

Post by AK47 »

designer2k2
Administrator

Post by designer2k2 »

The project is not super easy, but you will definetly learn something with it :)

I mean who else can say that they have a truly selfbuild monitoring system in their car what realy works?? 8-)

The connection to the car sensors is different for every car, but for most you can just connect them directly and "listen" together with the ECU on the same sensor.

In what car would you install it?
itsmyfault...
Izzmo

Post by Izzmo »

I would be installing it on a 1997 Ford Taurus SHO.

I think tapping into the OBD2 port would be easiest, but I do want to keep that open just in case for other diagnostic tools.

With your Jetta (or Golf.. can't tell), did you hook your wires straight into the ECU?
designer2k2
Administrator

Post by designer2k2 »

we dont read data over OBD2, that one is completly untouched...

Yes, i tapped quite some wires from the ECU wiring loom (Throttle position, lambda sensor, air mass, rpm) the air pressure and egt sensor´s i installed new as my ecu didnt have them...

I think Ford is also using Bosch ECU´s? becouse nearly all of them run with 0-5V sensors what can be directly read into the multidisplay. Just some japanese cars use 0-12V sensors what would need a small voltage divider to work.
itsmyfault...
Izzmo

Post by Izzmo »

Yes, it uses Bosch sensors (awesome!). So, I just need to tap into the ECU wire loom directly and that's it? (of course then I need to do the hard stuff :D)
designer2k2
Administrator

Post by designer2k2 »

to confirm it you need to measure the signal level that its between 0-5V (what should be for all Bosch / Siemens / Continental (Motorola) / VDO sensors)

additional sensors can be taken from the same suppliers, like 3 vdo temperature and 3 vdo pressure sensors kann be connected directly. For example for an additional outside temperature or fuel pressure sensor.
itsmyfault...
Izzmo

Post by Izzmo »

Are you talking about additional sensors that you would hook up yourself, such as a temperature sensor hooked right up to the transmission bell housing or oil pan for temp readings?