bofh

Re: RaceTrax with MUI, SpinOFF All-in-one

Post by bofh »

nice.
was it hard to solder the atmega 2560?
landracer

Post by landracer »

It's not really that bad. Just a quick drag solder. The first chip was a sacrifice from a Mega2560 board which had a flaky serial to usb. How ironic, the 8u2 being flaky..... So I de-soldered the 2560 off that board and zipped it on this new dev board. So far so good. I'm going threw LUFA, aka Dean Camera USB stack code as of now trying unsuccessfully to get this 8u2 to play nice... nevertheless, interesting experience. I'm am just short of asking Dean for his help, been playing with this for weeks now. Once this board is successfully built and working, I'd like to get you and Stephan each one of these boards for continued development free of charge. This way you guys have easy room for expansion. With all the current capabilities. This should fit ANY 2560 shield or homemade DEV board stack. :-) Love this project! :respect: Long live Multidisplay!
landracer

Post by landracer »

Well, It looks like the board works! :-) well, the basic parts that is.. Got the USB working, MEGA2560 runs great, SD logger is logging away, Bluetooth is forwarding data. I need to setup the ODBII connection part of the system and try that out.

The problem I seem to have now is bluetooth and the MUI Android app. I can connect with my Android, stream data to any Bluetooth terminal app ie; 'BT-simple-terminal'(any spp app seems to see data). But I cannot connect to the Bluetooth device threw the MUI app. I've tried on several devices now a Galaxy Note 8, a regular note 2, older G-Slate, and a t-mobile springboard . Any suggestions? I must be missing something simple here...

Exciting guys! Can't wait to get this project ready for some warm weather testing!! We'll be on the dyno here soon with PatriotLSR, I'd like to see if we can patch in with the project by then. :mrgreen:
bofh

Post by bofh »

:up: :respect:

the android app searches for an bluetooth spp device with the string "mdv2" in its name.
just add "mdv2" to the name of your bluebooth device (it must be paired with the android system!).
landracer

Post by landracer »

Oh that is an easy fix... my bad. I should have tried that... I should have it running shortly then :-) I used a different name for the bluetooth unknowingly. oops.. The RN41 is pretty easy to change around. I'll post up some pictures soon!
landracer

Post by landracer »

Well a bit more playing around lead me to making a genuine Arduino atmega2560 shield. Modified EXT-Board which is not on this test of the panelized board, lastly a wideband O2 carrier board for the SLC OEM http://www.14point7.com/products/slc-oem

I'm close to finial revisions complete..... Then going for panel print. Woot! Long live MultiDisplay! :mrgreen: :P

I'll add more pictures later if folks are interested. These should embed nicely into some custom milled aluminum enclosures.
Attachments
baller.png
landracer

Re: rAtTrax or rAceTrax with MUI, SpinOFF All-in-one

Post by landracer »

Looks like this might turn into a sellable product called rAtTrax. Not as much DIY here, instead built to be ready for install into your vehicle. Grabbed myself an Philips Assembleon pick and place machine, and mantix re-flow machine. Picking up a DEK soldermask machine beginning of next year. That should be all the goodies I need to fire-up a new business here soon....

I have to thank you guys for releasing such an awesome product. That has allowed multidisplay to evolve into this product.

If you want more photos you can visit my google photo's album @this address
https://goo.gl/photos/6gskD3Cvrehzi4jRA
bofh

Post by bofh »

really nice. you got your own machines for placing and soldering the complete pcbs? awsome! :respect:

did you add new hardware features? is the pcb design downloadable? are you still using fritzing?
landracer

Post by landracer »

Both,

Sorry for the slow response. I've been super busy... Life happens.

Anyhow I scored a killer deal on a Philips assembleon, and a small wave solder machine. I've pretty much refurbished both of them back to a usable condition. the Assembleon only has 24k hours on her. BUT damn it was rode hard and put away wet. It still needs a few things replaced. But that can wait for now. SO yes ;) a solid pick and place machine to start with for board assembly.

As for the pcb. It has a mash-up of all the same things your board has just consolidated a bit. I needed a bit more customization for use in my projects. There are 2 different boards here, an Ardino Mega2560 compatible board with all of the interfacing for the usual, shift lights, buttons, LCD out, boost controller circuit, and 2 Xbee slots. Used an FTDI chip for the usb to serial connection, to avoid BS. BUT, with that, it requires ICSP to re-program, nbd. I've included a few pictures of the new cases. (revisions are needed on everything, it's always something) The mega shield is still a WIP. That should have a full OBDII interpreter chip, the chip done by OBDPRO's, circuit done by me. It should support all protocols. Open-logger, built-in bluetooth, and all the same-ol as the original mUI product. A refined product using mostly SMD technology.

As for design files... I'm not sure what I'll be releasing with the beta version. Most likely just the schematic, for now... Not sure I'll be releasing much else. A BIG YES to fritzing... I'd rather invest my time in what I feel is a better quality product, of which is worthy of my time. (to each his own)

Case design was all done in freecad. What a wonderful product! I cannot speak highly enough of this platform. My goodness. It bit of a learning curve.. BUT the end result is a 100% completed project using open-source software(s). So the question really should be, what can 'paid-for' do that 'free' cannot? FOSS AND DONE! I'm not sure if anyone can appreciate such a feat. EVEN the generated G-code run by the Bridge-port/accurite vertical mill was a post-process generated by linuxcnc. So if anyone understands what that means... No paid-for garbage was used. NO Altium/Eagle/Autodesk/Solidworks/mastercam, ALL that crap can pack sand. I'd gladly send them all a spoon. So they can eat my you-know-what. (not a fan of paid for software, if you can tell)

Many, many, hours of love here.... Long live Multi-Display! :respect: :beer: I'll make sure of it... some pics ;)

See all my shared photos here
https://goo.gl/photos/6gskD3Cvrehzi4jRA

Nick :beer:
designer2k2
Administrator

Post by designer2k2 »

this is just impressive! :respect:

i build quite some prototypes, but never got the idea to buy such equipment, wow!

Did you start with the case, or the pcb?

About the thermocouple connector, where do you have the ice point compensation? It should be as close as possible at the transition from thermocouple wire to copper.
itsmyfault...